Sunday, October 21, 2012

Family Outings

Since my son was born it made me really want to get out there and be a family with him and my husband at public events. I'm not sure what it is, but suddenly I felt the door was open to so many outing possibilities - things that have been around long before I ever became a mom that I never considered. Before baby I had never bothered to find out about these things and had little interest in going. The interesting part is that a lot of the events that are now so much more fun are really not for baby at all.

A number of reasons I feel that lead that may have led to this new interest :
  1. More time to search the web to discover possible outings
  2. A greater urge to "be a family" and get out and do things together
  3. A feeling of security to step out of my comfort zone and attend events that I otherwise would be hesitant about - the baby was a great reason to do these things.
  4. An urge to get out and show off my new addition
  5. To increase my social life in any way possible since it has now changed dramatically because of baby.
It's interesting that now I suddenly want to go simply because of my son. He is still too small to really recognize or appreciate where he is when we go to new places - but I do believe he is aware at least that he is somewhere he hasn't been before. I like the idea of showing him different things that we do not have at home and peaking his curiousity to experience new things.

I have discovered that there are plenty of things to do in the city and surrounding areas and all you have to do is look for them. We've had great days visiting museums, flea markets, parks, and just going to different places to take walks. I am also excited to realize how much I look forward to going to these places and how much I enjoy myself when I get there. Even on days when we've had a rough night and we are very tired in the morning we still have more fun than we would if we stayed home. I can't wait to find other events, and for my son to appreciate them more as he gets older.  

Momma's Musts

  • Explore. There are plenty of hidden events and activities happening in your area that you never imagined. Just ask around, do an internet search or subscribe to local websites/blogs to keep you updated.
  • Just go! Don't hesitate or allow insecurities from your typical day get in the way. You'll all enjoy it if you just get out and go!
  • List. Think of all the reasons why you would like to go to a new place and then list the things you would like to do - and then just go!
  • Have fun! These events are great for your family to experience new things and enjoy each other.

2 comments:

st. john's mom said...

I LOVE this post :-) I felt the same way after having my boys.... probably one of the reasons I started blogging myself! Definitely why I keep a calendar, LOL!

Laura said...

I can totally relate to this. My husband and I share a car and he takes it to work most days, so on days when I do have the car, ANY outing is exciting!