Saturday, October 06, 2012

Insomniac

When I started this blog I thought it would be fairly easy to maintain. I thought a post at least every other day or at the very least once a week would be simple. Throw in an infant and add the fact that he's changing his schedule and try to maintain anything. Not easy.

Recently, well about three weeks now, my son has been waking in the middle of the night. My wonderful sleeper since 9 weeks old has started waking once, sometimes twice at night. He is sleeping more restlessly, kicking and rustling around frequently and stirring himself awake. So now I am suffering from my recurring bouts of insomnia. It's like my body is more alert and waiting, I expect that he will wake and I won't rest as well. I lose hours of sleep every night and sometimes I panic and worry that I won't be able to function the next day. I am struggling with relaxing now and hate that I am losing sleep because of me and not him. But at least it gives me time to blog.....

I believe it is due to his teeth, or correction, his gums. I have yet to see a whitecap emerge from his little pink gums but there is no question that he is in pain and it is this pain that rouses him nightly. "They" say not to feed him if he wakes in the middle of the night as he will get used to it. I struggle with this because every hunger cue he has ever given me is in overdrive when he does wake - he's starving. I am trying to treat the teething symptoms more now, rubbing some benadryl over his gums with my finger, giving him an ice cold dummy to soothe; hoping for a miracle. I'd rather not pick him up because I know my little guy, that means food! I am trusting my instincts though, and feeding if I know that there is no way around it. The ever guessing game of being a mom. Just when you think you have figured out one thing something else goes amazingly wrong or changes and you are left knowing less than when you started.

I guess until I can come up with some way to ease my own tension and turn of my mommy instincts I will be burning the midnight (or all night) oil. This may prove promising to rejuvenate my blog which I hate to see wither away. I am still not tired! Absolutely amazing, I wonder when this will catch me.

No comments: