Thursday, November 01, 2012

Baby's First Halloween

I have always loved Halloween, and now I love it even more. I feel now that with a little one in the mix I get to be a kid again, getting to experience that fun of trick-or-treating.

Ok so my little guy is too small to know what's really going on. That didn't stop us from taking our time to select his costume, dress him up several times and take him around. We have family spread from one end of the city to the other so we took an afternoon over the weekend and had him go trick-or-treating there. Then we did a select few houses from our neighborhood. Everyone was so nice, giving out baby food for him and a couple of treats for mom.  We managed to get together with a lot of his little friends for costume photo ops too...they were all sooooo cute.

I have always loved watching the trick-or-treaters come to my door, and hated missing that part when I used to go out myself when I was younger.  Last night in the midst of a ringing doorbell and a crying baby I realized that from here on out Halloween will only get more fun. When he starts to select his own costume, pick houses he wants to visit, sort through his candy, still covered in make up when he gets home. Simplicity yes, but just such a nice feeling.

We made a point of decorating with him watching us, and showing him the spooky ghosts and witches, and reading him Halloween stories. I think that while he wasn't sure exactly what was happening he knew something was different. He was so well behaved in his costume too. Costumes have certainly come a long way since I was out years ago.

Momma's Musts

  • Be a kid again! Enjoy as thoroughly as your child does these "kid" events. They are part of what life is all about.
  • Involve your little ones. They may not know what is going on or be able to do much but expose them to what you are doing and try to bring it to their level as much as you can.
  • Step away from the Candy! Do not gorge on all the left over treats or the ones that baby can't eat that you collected. Well, not all at once anyway, haha.

No comments: